A Transition Year Programme (TYP) allows young people to become more aware of themselves and of the world around them. The emphasis is on developing skills rather than on simply remembering facts. Such skills – academic, technical and general – stay with people for life. Skills in maths, languages and study are especially relevant for a Leaving Certificate programme. Students can develop more independent study habits.
Project work can promote self-regulated learning. Rather than have students loose any study habits, TYP can lay a solid base for learning in a more, responsible way.
Transition Year places a heavy emphasis on learning from experience. Studying aspects of popular culture such as fashion, advertising, popular music, cinema etc. can increase the motivation of learning and add to self esteem.
A Work Experience Placement has been a major milestone on many young people’s paths to maturity. Attention to careers, third-level courses, the realities of employment and unemployment are central concerns in Transition Year.
Current Activities up to November 2016
- Home ec up and running (Presentation Convent)
- Chinese module up and running for both 4y and 4w.4v and 4t will begin module after Christmas.
- UL activity day. Sept 9th
- Buddy system begins Sept 10th
- Film making day for 4v Sept 16 &17
- "Gold of the Desert Kings" Sept18 &19
- Hospital visits to begin next week Sept 15
- Build a Bank (AIB) 25th September
- Eagles Flight (18th & 19th September)
- Zambian Immersion interviews (29th September)
- Bank Interviews(Build your own Bank) 29th September
- Watergate Theatre for all Ty students 6th October and 20th October
- The following students have been chosen to take part in the Rotary Youth Leadership Development Programme: Harry Hogan, Michael Purcell, William Creedon, Darren O Sullivan and Eugene Ryan.
- The interviews for the school finals will take place on Friday Oct 24th at 2pm.
- All T.Y.s will attend the Ursuline production of 'Les Mis' on Wednesday Oct 22nd.
- The 4T class were helping out at the inter schools first year blitz in Dr. Morris Park on Tuesday Oct 21st.
- The 4V class are running a Halloween awareness campaign for first years.
- SOAR talk for Transition Year Students (November)
- Ongoing preparation for Musical (Grease) (October - December)
- European Space Centre Trip (November)
Transition Year Programme 2015/2016