All students who are offered a place will be arranged in classes of mixed ability.
In Second Year students will be set in Higher or Ordinary Level English, Gaeilge and Mathematics classes on the basis of
- Teacher’s assessment.
- Tests during First Year.
- Consultation with Parents.
- Development of emotional and social growth through Social, Personal and Health Education.
- Development of physical growth through Physical Education.
- Development of a critical sense throughout.
The following subjects are compulsory for all students:
In certain cases an exemption from Irish may be obtained from the Department of Education.
The majority of students study a modern language in the interest of balance and career options. French and German are offered in first year.
First Year students experience a sample of the option subjects below and choose three option subjects after the first term.
The subject specifications for each subject is prescribed by the Department of Education.
As part of our Junior Cycle Curriculum we also offer a range of Short Courses for our students. During First year students can choose one of the following Short Courses
Methods of Assessment
- Continuous assessment in each subject throughout the year.
- Christmas and Summer house examinations followed by school reports.
- Classroom Based Assessments in Second and Third Year.
- Junior Cycle Examination at end of Third Year (Mock exams in January/February).
“The school offers a broad curriculum and has recently introduced Home Economics, which is proving a popular option with students and parents. Short courses are offered as part of the new junior cycle, and TY and LCVP are options available to students in senior cycle. A subject sampling programme, which runs in the first term, allows first-year students to experience subjects before deciding on options”
WSE-MLL Report DES 2019